Thursday, March 12, 2015

How to Take the High Road

How To Take the High Road....

Or try to. 


The Story

We all know that it can be very difficult to be nice to someone who has wronged you. I went to dinner with some of my family to a local restaurant we frequently visit. Upon leaving I recognized someone who has shamefully hurt, humiliated and disrespected me. When returning home I found out that someone with him screamed profanities out the window at my father

The Problem

I believe the problem is obvious here. What right do you have to yell at a Godly, kind man who helped you through difficult times? My problem is trying to take the high road and be the bigger person that I know I need to be and can be. But that's not the solution I want. I want to be angry and I want to yell right back, but what is that teaching my students?

The Solution

Sometimes I think my students have old souls. While continuing to learn about bullies and what to do when they encounter us one of my students said:
                        "Miss Goff, yesterday my brother said something really rude to my mom and I got really angry because I love my mom. I wanted to be mean to my brother because he was mean to her but I just couldn't because I knew God and my mom wouldn't like that. So, instead, I prayed for my brother before bed that God would help him to not be so nasty."

I mean come on! This kid is brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?? This caused many emotions in me. I was discouraged that in my 25 years of living that wasn't the first thing I did. I chuckled because she used the word "nasty" in a funny tone and at the same time I questioned myself. When I found out about what was said, I went to the "nasty" place in my head. Lastly, the strongest emotion I felt was happiness because my student knew the right thing to do and I'd like to take some credit for that. 

Matthew 5:44
"43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

So tonight, I will pray for him and her. But please pray for me, the urge to retaliate is still boiling in my blood. 


Fashion Fun!

Today I was so excited to wear my leopard flats my friend Ashley gave me!
I paired them with black pants and scarf and a denim shirt




No comments:

Post a Comment