Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I Teach Therefore I Am.

I Am Here



My journey

I attended public school for the first time when I was in 5th grade. Homeschooling was something I enjoyed but being the second youngest of 6, it was about the time I had to leave the comfort of my home and adjust to life in a school. The kids were different, the teacher wasn't my mom, I was definitely not at home. For the first time in my life, I felt alone. I remember that feeling distinctly, however, it didn't last long. Not only was I in class with my neighbor but my teacher made every possible effort she could to make me feel welcome, comfortable and learn to enjoy school. She is the sole reason I became a teacher. The love and guidance she showed me molded me into who I am today 


Math is by far my favorite subject to teach, science is a close second, but the best thing about being a teacher is not teaching what's in the curriculum or the standards. It's about teaching them how to get along with students they don't mesh with. It's about showing them that even in our weakest and toughest moments we are there for each other. It's about laughing, enjoying and just being. About cherishing the moments we have together and learning to give back to others. Yes, knowing how to add is important, or knowing the process of photosynthesis, but nothing is more important than knowing how to be a better "you". A "you" that is compassionate, kind, understanding and loving. A "you" that knows how to stand up for "you"rself and to show mercy. A "you" that gives rather than takes, loves rather than hates and smiles even in "your" darkest hour.

I get to help them learn about life's struggles.
I get to share in their joys.
I get to celebrate with them, cry with them.
I get to watch them grow physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
I get to teach!

My Struggles

Most people think I am a glorified babysitter or think "you have the best job ever! You get summers off and are out by 3:30". I'd like to address this topic briefly.
I am not a glorified babysitter. Babysitters take kids places and let them play and watch T.V. and just have fun doing absent minded things. I do have fun in my classroom, however, I am teaching them raw, intellectual concepts that they need to better themselves throughout their life. I may get out of school at 3:30, but even when I am home I am working. I am lesson planning, prepping for the week, making sure the concept I am teaching isn't over their heads or that it is strong enough of a lesson. 
I do have the best job ever! Not because I am off in the summers but because I am a teacher. Many people think I pull a 40 hour week for roughly 9-10 months out of the year. But I don't. I am constantly thinking, constantly organizing, constantly working. My mind is like the Internet, I have 50 different pages open and am constantly searching for something. You can't shut it off.

My Strength

Thanks for reading! I will close with our bible verse this week:
Phillipians 4:11
"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances"
Complaining comes easy for most of us, but we need to remember that life has its challenges and God gives us what we need to succeed. There is no need to worry for our burdens can be laid upon Him

Fashion Fun!


My blog will always be ending with a #ootd (outfit of the day). Something I enjoy doing is picking out my clothes and being a little different with what I wear. I dress for comfort and style but with a modest twist :)

Be A Blessing
Miss Goff


No comments:

Post a Comment